Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On the road again


Whelp! Its that time of year again. Every weekend, Hoag and I pack up the truck and trailer, load up the dog and head for the hills. This is our routine every week until October and it's our FAVORITE time of year. (I know, I say that all the time)
This being our first solo trip of the season, we were extra excited and optimistic.. until we saw this.


Now we knew there was going to be weather and with all the talk of the Rapture, it was an unnecessary addition to the dramatic day. Normally were the satellite radio type of people, but with a skyline like this, we went straight for KPR. “Tornadoes are in the area, seek shelter immediately, if you’re on the road pull over and get in a ditch.” … right. Somehow this translated to me yelling at Hoag to drive faster as I dangled precariously out the window, dodging golf ball sized hail taking as many pictures as possible. I stopped only to pop my head back in to scream, “FASTER” My poor truck.
It was too close for comfort. Even for me. And I love storms.

But I love storms when I know I’m safe, and my horses are safe, and my house is safe… all which was left to be determined. We spent the next 4 hours off and on the phone with cowboy Phil who was giving us the play by play as the storms spared our ranch and passed off to the west.


I wish I could say the same for Joplin, Mo. Take a moment to say a prayer for those who have lost their family’s, their friends and their homes. Tornadoes are so unpredictable its terrifying. It was said on the news today that Joplin went from no tornado to an F4 to no tornado all within 9 minutes and now they are left with total destruction. If you find it in your hearts, here are some ways to help out this devastated community.

No comments:

Post a Comment