Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ranch Style Spaghetti and Meatballs

Hello again! I'm busy trying to stock my fridge up with good, easy and nutritious meals for when the baby gets here that I know Hoag will love and want to make.  So, here's my quick ranch version of spaghetti and meatballs! 


* now obviously, this isn't THE recipe for meatballs because I think a few people would have my head for using block mozzarella, canned breadcrumbs and just one meat but hey.. you do with what you have, and we always have beef!*


So, we'll start with 2 lbs of ground beef.  This made about 6 servings of meatballs so cut down as you see fit!  Add 6 cloves chopped garlic, a large handful chopped parsley and basil, 2 Tbsps of Fennel, 1 Tbsps of red pepper flake and mush together.



I add one egg for each 1lb of meat and 1/2 cup breadcrumb per egg... you do the math :)


Mush Mush mush... salt and pepper and voila!


ok, so here's another short cut, blocked mozzarella, albeit lacking in taste and texture, can stay frozen in your freezer until just the right time.  I'm just sayin.. these things are important when it takes 20 minutes round trip just to drive to your grocery!
 

Cut up your Mozz and make meatballs about the size of a golf ball. Usually I just do half, stick the cheese in there, take the other half and round it out.  It's like a little, delicious, ooey gooey surprise in your meatball that you'll thank me for.


The size is up to you :)


As a cook, one of my biggest shortcomings is patience... also why I call myself a cook and not a baker!! For perfect, round meatballs you have to stand and shake your pan to prevent too much browning or flattening on one side.  But, I think it all tastes the same so just don't forget about them.



While these are browning, ( you'll have to do it in batches) you'll want to be working on your Sunday Gravy  so you can plop the browned meatballs in the sauce.  

Another important thing to note here is you do not need your meatballs cooked all the way before they hit the sauce...  That is, if you started this in the afternoon.  A good sauce with meatballs will cook together for about three hours at least.  If you didn't get started ( honestly who has that kind of time)  you'll want to make sure they're cooked almost completely but still allow at least 1 hour for melding! 


Dish it up over your favorite cut of pasta with a little fresh grated parm and you're good to go! A fresh sprinkle of basil would be nice too but mine is struggling a bit with this heat.  Bon Appetite !


No comments:

Post a Comment