Thursday, August 4, 2011

The plight of the bounty


One of the great things that comes with weeks and weeks of wicked, breath stealing, unrelenting death heat is a great crop of tomatoes.  Those suckers love that endless sun and all the vitamins that come from it!


With our crazy hectic schedule we've been holding up the last few months I feel like my garden has been very forgiving of me and my 20 minutes a day I've committed to it.  But now, my cup runeth over with tomatoes, squash and red jalapenos( that's what you get when you wait too long!)


This is going to be my first year of canning with my Mama.  I remember doing this when I grew up in our house in Lawrence.  How much do I remember? Well, I know that I will end up in my undergarments due to the fact that my AC wont be able to keep up with the boiling pots of water. That's about it.  But now I know there will be prosecco, lots and lots of prosecco. 

I've also run into a few conundrums with my peppers.  Currently I am growing red, green and yellow bell peppers along with pablanos and jalapenos.  My red peppers don't seem to ripen in time for me to wait them out on the stem. I gave a few promising prospects a chance and they went rot before they went red.


And for some reason my pablanos and my green peppers look remarkably similar which leads to a very unhappy experience when you slice into one.  I'm going to have to keep those in different baskets. 


Also, just how many spaghetti squash recipes can one come up with!!!


I love my garden but I always seem to get to this overwhelming "what am I going to do with all these delicious veggies!! " problem.  Good thing I have such a willing family.





 P.S. I don't think I'll ever complain about my eggplant.  It amazes me these flimsy looking plants can hold such a large vegetable. Plus, I'm pretty much obsessed with eggplants.


 Happy Gardening!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment