Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Big Ol Bertha


Hi Y'all! My names Big Ol Bertha and I'm in charge of the feedin' round here.  These cattle know that when my engine gets a rumbling, their tummy's will stop grumblin!


But first, I gotta get my load on.  We start at the pit where my driver puts a big load of ground hay, then a big load of silage, top it off with some distillers grain and were off to the silos. 


Here I get a couple hundred pounds of corn and a little extra mineral to keep the cattle healthy and strong.


When our ranch gets full we have around 700 head to feed but not everyone gets the same thing. That's where the trusty board comes into play. It helps keep all the rations straight so everyone gets exactly what they need.



Inside my tub is a big scale so my driver can know how much of each part they're putting in. This also helps ensure nobody goes to bed hungry!


As soon as I'm loaded we sit and mix for 3 whole minutes. ...   ...  ...


And we're off! I have a chute that comes down off my tub and all the cattle know when they hear me coming, they better get their seat at the dinner bunk!



yum!


I get to work twice a day every day no matter what the weather is like.  These guys gotta eat!


I have the best job in the world!!   


















No comments:

Post a Comment